A history of hearty dining at Balsam
Joseph Kenney and Walter Christy, brothers-in-law from Athens, GA, operated a boarding house in Balsam at the turn of the last century. They led hunting and fishing excursions, and built a name for their business by serving wonderful food. In 1905 they began construction of a100-room hotel, and opened our inn in 1908. The inn’s corridors were built extra-wide to accommodate the steamer trunks of extended-stay summertime guests, who almost all arrived by rail. With its 100-foot porches, spectacular views and hearty, abundant cuisine, the inn soon came to be known as the “Grand Old Lady of Balsam”.
Our breakfast is menu is included for our in-house guests, and open to out-of-house guests, preferably by reservation.
Serving in our Grand Dining Room and our Sun Porch Dining Room.
With seating available for nearly 200 guests in multiple dining rooms, and with lawn space available as well, the Balsam Mountain Inn is a popular spot for gatherings, celebrations and weddings.